Ex-footballer George Weah takes early lead in Liberia election
Former footballer George Weah has taken an early lead in Liberia's presidential election partial results show.
Weah, according to numbers from the National Elections Commission (NEC), is leading by 11 out of 15 counties, even though most votes are still be counted.
Vice-President Joseph Boakai, his main rival, is said to be leading in one county and second in most.
A candidate is said to need more than 50% for a clean victory.
Arsenal Football Club manager Arsene Wenger was duped by false reports that his former player had won the elections.
NEC Chairman Jerome Korkoya hit back at false reports saying: "This commission has not declared any winner".
More News South Africa
- Two shot in dead in popular Stellenbosch nightclub
- Family of guard accused of molesting learners says he disappointed the entire community
- Man in critical condition after shot in head
- Learners injured in stampede at Midrand school
- Street vendor boss who insulted Mugabe gets bail
- Police question Davido following death of a friend
- #SpyTapes: SCA upholds High Court ruling
- Seven killed in head-on collision
- Teacher arrested after sending inappropriate images to 15-year-old girl
- Man nabbed after trying to sell dead man's items