Free Higher Education: ANC government will find the money
President of the African National Congress (ANC), Cyril Ramaphosa, said he was fully committed to the implementation of free higher education to deserving students from poor and working class households.
Free education for students from poor and working class families was announced by President Jacob Zuma last December, sparking fears that it was merely a tactical ploy by Zuma ahead of the party's 54th National Conference.
However, Ramaphosa has given the strongest assurance yet that money and resources would be found, to make this government project a reality.
"We have far too many young people in our country, who are unemployed. Critical to the expansion of access to economic opportunity is the implementation of the decision to have free higher education to students from poor and working class families," said Ramaphosa.
Ramaphosa said this had been a prolonged struggle of the ANC, adding that its implementation would be more critical now, than ever before.
"The free education that we wanted is here. The project will be implemented on a gradual basis, as we find money, as we mobilize resources, as we accumulate more and more money we are going to realise this historic objective," said the ANC President.
"This historic decision, which vindicates many decades of struggle for free education for the poor, will be implemented in a phase approach to ensure sustainability of our government finances. South Africa needs to pursue a multi-faceted growth strategy. Importantly, we are also going to make all efforts to ensure that we create jobs for young people in our country."
More News South Africa
- Ramaphosa refuses to humiliate Zuma
- Tongaat taxi driver slain in drive by shooting
- Van Damme: Ramaphosa is all talk and no action
- DA: Malema must pay H&M damages
- Ramaphosa: African time a thing of the past
- EFF: H&M store trashing just the beginning
- Van Damme blasts ANC failure to recall Zuma
- Mantashe: ANC reconnecting with its base
- Mbalula: There is a new sense of hope for the ANC
- Ramaphosa delivers a lecture on time