GDE offers counselling to learners following sexual assault allegations
The Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) has confirmed that 83 learners allegedly sexually assaulted by a security guard will be given the chance to be sent for counselling.
A 57-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly repeatedly molesting 54 Grade R pupils at a Soweto Primary school.
Police confirmed that the man who worked as a security guard at the school was arrested on Monday.
GDE spokesperson Steve Mabona confirmed that the guard's services were terminated immediately after the department was informed about what had happened.
The principal was removed with immediate effect following sexual assault allegations of at least 83 learners by a security guard.
The GDE said that the number rose from 54 pupils to 83.
"The patroller has since appeared at the Protea Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, 11 October 2017 and is remanded in police custody to appear on Wednesday, 18 October 2017," the department said.
More News South Africa
- Police question Davido following death of a friend
- #SpyTapes: SCA upholds High Court ruling
- Ex-footballer George Weah takes early lead in Liberia election
- Seven killed in head-on collision
- Teacher arrested after sending inappropriate images to 15-year-old girl
- Man nabbed after trying to sell dead man's items
- #Rohde Murder Trial: Second autopsy
- Man gets 22 years for raping teens
- #CapeTownFire: Twelve Apostles Hotel evacuated
- Two men gunned down in Athlone