Ramaphosa: Malema is still ANC deep down in his heart
President Cyril Ramaphosa said Commander in Chief of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), Julius Malema, belonged in the African National Congress (ANC).
Malema was expelled from the ANC in early 2012, and the sentiment by National Disciplinary Committee Chair Derek Hanekom then, was that Malema was unlikely to be rehabilitated. It just so happens that Hanekom has returned to Cabinet under the Ramaphosa administration.
However, he is not the only one in the current government who was directly involved in Malema's expulsion. Malema's expulsion was subsequently upheld by a committee chaired by Ramaphosa himself.
Given what we know about that, it seems unlikely that the Leader of the EFF will reconcile with the ANC. However, that is not going to stop the governing party from trying.
"The EFF members, we would want to welcome them back. We would love to have Julius Malema back in the ANC. He is still ANC deep down in his heart," said Ramaphosa on the campaign trail Sunday.
"So, we would like to have those who are in the EFF back, in the ANC because the ANC is their home."
More News South Africa
- Two people kidnapped, shot and burnt to ash in boot of their car
- Zulu nation demands respect from Juju
- Traditional Courts Bill not worth the paper it's written on
- Parliament finally takes its gloves off and guns for Myeni
- Police murder-suicides back on Parliament's agenda
- Myeni and Guptas will not appear before inquiry
- Groenewald begs Ramaphosa to protect landowners
- Maimane: DA has best land reform record
- Maimane on Land: ANC and EFF stoking racial tension
- Groenewald calls on white voters to stand up and be counted