Soweto principal dismissed following sexual assault allegations of 83 learners
A principal at a Soweto primary school has been removed with immediate effect, the Gauteng Department of education confirmed on Thursday.
The principal was removed following sexual assault allegations of at least 83 learners by a security guard.
MEC Panyaza Lesufi released a statement on Thursday.
"We remain grateful to all stakeholders especially the Teddy Bear Clinic and our Psycho-Social Support Services. I am grateful that the department has prioritised this matter and we will leave no stone unturned."
A 57-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly repeatedly molesting 54 Grade R pupils at a Soweto Primary school.
Police confirmed that the man who worked as a security guard at the school was arrested on Monday.
The GDE said that the number rose from 54 pupils to 83.
"The patroller has since appeared at the Protea Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, 11 October 2017 and is remanded in police custody to appear on Wednesday, 18 October 2017," the department said.
Further investigations continue.
More News South Africa
- Teacher arrested after sending inappropriate images to 15-year-old girl
- Man nabbed after trying to sell dead man's items
- #Rohde Murder Trial: Second autopsy
- Man gets 22 years for raping teens
- #CapeTownFire: Twelve Apostles Hotel evacuated
- Two men gunned down in Athlone
- GDE offers counselling to learners following sexual assault allegations
- Seven tourist robbed at gunpoint in Joburg
- SCA to hand ruling on Zuma 'spy tapes'
- Truth prevails 40 years later in Ahmed Timol case