15 people still missing after another Kenyan building collapses
Authorities report that 15 people are currently missing, after a building collapsed in Kenyan Capital Nairobi on Monday night.
The seven-story structure collapsed in an residential area, and the race is on to save as many lives as possible. However, there is still no confirmation that rescue teams have been given access to the architectural plans for the building.
If they do not have those plans yet, the rescue effort will be that much more difficult to manage. The incident itself points to a bigger problem in Kenya though, the constructions of buildings withouth approval - an element which was addressed by Governor Evans Kidero at this particular building site.
"We hadn't got to a point where we were going to demolish it," said Kidero, on this particular building.
Concerns about cracks in this building had already been raised on Monday, and plans were afoot to have occupants evacuated.
"People evacuated but we might have some people who might have been left behind," Pius Masai, Deputy Director of the National Disaster Management Unit, told Reuters.
More World News
- Fong Kongs to the value R4.2-million intercepted en route to Hong Kong
- Mali government kills five suspected terrorists
- Activists worried dog meat festival will go ahead next week
- Grenfell Tower residents safety concerns ignored
- Lesotho PM inaugurated despite wife's murder
- Australian PM parodies Trump - and it goes public
- #LondonFire Mum drops baby from Grenfell Tower
- The world now has 5-billion mobile subscribers, and counting
- Visa announces plans for cashless Confed Cup
- Bolt named PES 2018 ambassador