Ex-footballer George Weah takes early lead in Liberia election
Former footballer George Weah has taken an early lead in Liberia's presidential election partial results show.
Weah, according to numbers from the National Elections Commission (NEC), is leading by 11 out of 15 counties, even though most votes are still be counted.
Vice-President Joseph Boakai, his main rival, is said to be leading in one county and second in most.
A candidate is said to need more than 50% for a clean victory.
Arsenal Football Club manager Arsene Wenger was duped by false reports that his former player had won the elections.
NEC Chairman Jerome Korkoya hit back at false reports saying: "This commission has not declared any winner".
More World News
- Gabrielle Union shares her story of being raped at 19
- Star Wars tech to help Dubai Police fight crime!
- Tesla fires at least 400 employees in one week
- Liberia presidential run-off between Weah and Boakai
- Mogadishu bomb victims airlifted to Turkey
- Ireland battens down the hatches for Hurricane Ophelia
- Stranded family rescued by the Hogwarts Express
- French military plane crashes into Ivory Coast sea
- Blast in Somali capital leaves at least 30 dead
- Three killed in skydiving accident