Hurricane Maria claims 43 lives in Puerto Rico
Hurricane Maria claimed 43 lives in Puerto Rico, an official confirmed on Tuesday.
Maria hit the island on September 20 and has been recorded as the most powerful hurricane to hit the United States in nearly 90 years.
The hurricane caused damage to the island's electricity, damaging many homes and infrastructure.
Secretary of public affairs and public policy Ramon Rosario said that 16 percent of electricity service has been restored.
Rosario said that the death toll could continue to rise particularly in rural areas. Those living there don't have basic necessities or access to local hospitals.
More World News
- French military plane crashes into Ivory Coast sea
- Blast in Somali capital leaves at least 30 dead
- Three killed in skydiving accident
- Ex-footballer George Weah takes early lead in Liberia election
- Trials for Ebola vaccine deemed successful
- New Nigerian deputy Reserve Bank governor under fire for dressing 'immodestly'
- Microsoft kills its Windows Phone platform
- Terry Crewes speaks out about being sexually assaulted
- Africa - one of the worst places for educating girls
- Curfew imposed in Malawi following 'vampire' killings